The Sua Sponte Foundation (SSF) is an all-volunteer 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization comprised of a small group of veteran 1/75 Rangers and patriotic civilians. It was created in 2010 to provide assistance to the men and families of the 1st Ranger Battalion, part of the U.S. Army’s elite 75th Ranger Regiment based at Hunter Army Airfield in Savannah, GA. Our name, Sua Sponte—Latin for “of their own accord”—is the regimental motto of the 75th Ranger Regiment.
With the support of donations from individuals and businesses, SSF provides:
- Maintenance and care of the 1/75 Memorial site to the highest standard
- Helping the men and families of 1/75 in times of crisis
- Hosting and sponsoring events that serve to increase the morale and cohesiveness of both the men and families of 1/75
At SSF, we strive to mirror the values and work ethic of the warriors and families we serve. To that end, each of our BOARD MEMBERS, who each hold full time jobs in the civilian marketplace, freely give a considerable amount of their personal time and expertise to the organization. They seek no compensation, recognition, or attention for the work they perform. Their sole focus is to create and maintain an organization that is flexible enough to provide immediate and meaningful assistance to the men and families of the 1st Battalion.
President/ Board Member
1st Ranger Battalion Sua Sponte Foundation
SSF How we have helped/where does your money go?
- Gave and estimated $40,000 back to the community in 2013
- Doubled that number in 2014 to give back more than $80,000 in 2014!
- Growing our capital at a 20%+ annual rate.
- Funded and participated in the Annual Trunk or Treat Halloween for families (2013-2015)
- Provided Care Packages for each Ranger during each deployment
- Provided funding and volunteer support for the Funeral of a Ranger Spouse
- Provided funding, volunteer support and oversight for a wounded Rangers home to be made ADA compliant and wheelchair accessible.
- Provided job counseling and placement for Ranger Veteran (12 hour turn around)
- Provide funding, logistical and volunteer support to Gold Star Parents, Wives and care givers during times of crisis
- Provide funding for Ranger families who could not otherwise afford to attend a high level recognition ceremony for their Ranger
- Provide funding and logistical support for a specialized bed to be purchased for a Ranger with serious Back injury
- Provided immediate support funding (in under 12 hours) to cover logistical and medical expenses for a retired 1st Battalion Ranger who suffered a severe back injury while attempting a water rescue of a distressed swimmer.
- SSF sponsored a Rugby team to play in community events over St. Patricks Day
- Maintain Memorial Grounds on a weekly basis including an annual renovation to ensure the site remains in pristine condition.
- Funded and installed the Ranger Dog’s of War Memorial
- Funded benches to be placed at the entrance of HQ building
- Provide necessary funding for Chaplain Retreats
- Funded the new plaque denoting the Commander’s home
- Provided necessary funding for welcome ceremonies for incoming commander and leadership
- Provided necessary funding for Volunteer recognition Dinner
- Provided necessary funding for numerous Hail and Farewell’s
- Host, fund, and support the Annual Ranger sporting clay shoot
- Provided necessary funding for meals for deploying troops at TOC
- Hero Appreciation Day event music sponsor
- Airfare for Chaplain to be the Officiant at the funeral of Ranger Spouse
- Provide funding and volunteer support for Pheasant Hunt open to all Rangers
- Provided necessary funding that allowed Ranger Spouses to accompany their Rangers (active and retired) while they were being treated for cancer at an out of state specialist center.
- Place commemorative wreaths at the Memorial Site on holidays and before major ceremonies
- Provide funding and volunteer support for Single Ranger Sporting Clay Shoot Annually
- Provide funding and volunteer support for the “Ranger Kids Christmas” Annually
- Provide funding and volunteer support for Single Soldier Christmas Stockings Annually
- Provide funding and logistical support for travel and recognition gifts for Ranger Ball Speakers
- Provide funding and volunteer support for Family Day Events
- Provide funding and volunteer support for Banner Day Events
- Provide funding and volunteer support for Ranger Ball
- Provided funding and volunteer support for 40th Anniversary Celebration
- Provide funding and logistical support for Paint Ball Morale event for leadership
- Provide funding for Ranger Wives Socials and team building events
- Provide funding to cover babysitting expenses during leadership retreats for Ranger Wives and Couples Retreats
- Provide financial planning seminars to each company on an annual basis
- Provide resume and transitional job assistance to Rangers on a one on one basis